Month In Review - July 2017

Disclaimer - It must be noted that I like analyzing data and trends. So the observations I am making, are just that. They are not be interpreted as complaints. I am very grateful to the powers that be for all the good fortune we have been bestowed in life. 

July has been a relatively expensive month. Even though we stayed under $1000, we definitely indulged in a few things. 

Food spending accounted for $272.40, which is definitely on the high side. $77 of that was spent on two meals (each), which were worth the money. One of those meals was a chicken fried steak. I haven't had one in a very long time, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Chicken fried steak

We spent some money on computer peripherals, and electronics.

I purchased a mechanical keyboard, and it feels excellent. I cannot imagine going back to a membrane keyboard. Considering how much I type each day, I did not mind spending a little bit of money on a keyboard. I have a feeling I am not going to need one for several years. The membrane keyboard was purchased in 2013, and its still working. I expect the new mechanical keyboard to last at least just as long.

This being summer, utility bills  are going to be on the higher end. The bills I paid in July are for the month of June. Bills for the month of July (which will be shown in spending for August) are significantly higher, but I expect this number to go down.

Spending for the month of July 2017

On the investment front, a total of $15,747.84 was invested in various account throughout the month of July. This included contributions to 401k account, taxable account and dividend reinvestment. 


Our net worth grew by 4.996% to $128,532.13. Cash holdings accounted for 35.879% and the rest is investments. We are very close to reaching $100,000 in investments. This would be an exciting milestone for us.

Net worth for July 2017

Goal for the month of August would be to keep things under control, and spend less than $700 for the month. Our spending so far is at $411.91, which leaves us $288.09 for the rest of the month...its going to be challenging.

No comments:

Post a Comment